June is in full swing, and we have some great recommendations and TWO fantastic interviews!
June is Pride Month, and due to the coronavirus, many celebrations and events for this month have been affected and cancelled. It’s always important to uplift voices that are often marginalized, and with the added effects of quarantine and social distancing, we are excited to highlight Gender Reveal and Making Gay History—two engaging and thoughtful podcasts that are doing great work to support voices from the LGBTQIA+ community.
Listen to the episode here:
In the (Podcast) News:
- Alex listened to a couple episodes from The United States of Anxiety to help process a lot of what’s been happening regarding histories of racism and police brutality—“The Life and Work of Ida B. Wells” and “I Did Not Watch the Video”
- Radio Headspace has short episodes every weekday to offer slices of mindfulness.
- For creators, Spotify’s “Behind the Streams” newsletter interviews creators and provides recommendations. Podcasters who put their show on Spotify can subscribe.
- Confused about what you are supposed to do with your student loans during Corona? Death, Sex & Money with Anna Sale has you covered on their “Student Loans And The Pandemic: Your Questions, Answered” episode.
- Buzzfeed’s News O’Clock podcast gave a perpendicular story to COVID with their episode “News O’Clock: States Are Blocking Abortions During The Pandemic.“
- Comforting words and a new way to approach the current state of the world from The History of Sex‘s B. T. Newberg on the latest episode.
- Find out all about the tweet on everyone’s mind on WSJ’s The Journal episode: “Trump and Twitter’s Showdown“
- A very interesting and fresh interview with Tina Fey and Robert Carlock on NPR’s Bullseye with Jesse Thorn.
Interview with Gender Reveal host Molly Woodstock
Our first interview was with Molly Woodstock, who gave us a deep dive into their podcast. They opened up about the origins of the show, as well as their goals for the pod and the importance of intersectionality.
Gender Reveal is a podcast for nonbinary folks, for people who don’t know what “nonbinary” means, and everyone in between. Every Monday, journalist and educator Molly Woodstock interviews artists and activists, answers listener questions, analyzes current events, and amplifies the stories of trans and nonbinary individuals.
Here are links to a couple of Molly’s recent episodes that we mentioned on the show:
- “Episode 72: Vico Ortiz” (Molly honors Aimee Stephens and discusses her case during the “This Week in Gender” segment)
- “Episode 73: Beth Easton”
And here’s a link to Molly’s article “9 Terrific Podcasts by Trans and Nonbinary Creators” for plenty of recommendations! One additional pod they suggested was The View from Somewhere, which Alex highly recommends too.
Interview with Making Gay History host Eric Marcus
The Making Gay History podcast mines Eric Marcus’ decades-old audio archive of rare interviews—conducted for his award-winning oral history of the LGBTQ civil rights movement—to create intimate, personal portraits of both known and long-forgotten champions, heroes, and witnesses to history.
We mentioned these episodes directly from Making Gay History:
- “Episode 02 — Wendell Sayers“
- “Episode 03 — Edythe Eyde“
- “Ellen DeGeneres“
- Season Five about the Stonewall Uprising
We asked for any podcasts that were doing great things to highlight LGBTQ experiences. Eric told us about LGBTQ&A, Mattachine, and The Log Books.
Eric also listed some of his favorite podcasts, calling them “delicious listening pleasures.” They include: 99% Invisible, Dolly Parton’s America, and Fresh Air.
We’ve also called out some other days of recognition in the month of June:
- June 4 – National Cheese Day
- We love that Behind the Rind exists!
- June 5 – World Environment Day
- Our friends at On the Green Fence have an exciting new season, adapting their plans to include information on the effects of COVID around the world.
- June 8 – National Best Friends Day
- Try Call Your Girlfriend for thoughtful, engaging conversations between two long distance besties
- Check out Best Friends with Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata for all the laughs and friendship.
- It’s also Alex’s birthday so – HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALEX!!!
- June 10 – National Iced Tea Day
- Alex recommended Gravy as a scrumptious way to celebrate all things southern!
- June 12 – National Loving Day
- For more legal and historical information on Loving v. Virginia, the 1967 decision that struck down laws banning interracial marriage, listen to Constitutional‘s episode “Love” (there’s great info on the Marriage Equality Act too)
- Check out The Loving Project a podcast that celebrates the landmark case and interviews couples in mixed-race marriages
- June 19 – Juneteenth
- The Takeaway discusses Juneteenth, a commemoration of the end of slavery , and the ways people celebrate
- Listen to 1619, a New York Times podcast that frankly discusses the history of slavery in the United States and the repercussions that exist today
- June 21 – Father’s Day
- Modern Love has tons of great Dad-themed episodes, but start with “I Saw A Playhouse, My Daughter Saw A Jail with Brian Cox” or “Ah, To Be Old, Male, and Single” or “A Father, A Son, A Fighting Chance.”
Enjoy June, pod pals—and make sure to let us know your favorite listens! Shoot us an email: [email protected].
—Alex & Lainey