We are back and MARCH-ing in formation for Women’s History Month! We have lots of podcast news, a BYOP, and a special women-led podcast interview on this month’s episode. Listen to the show and find the show notes below.
In the (podcast) news:
- Bodies is back with a brand new season as of March 4th!
- Alex recommended Over the Road from Radiotopia, featured on Ear Hustle
- Lainey chimed in with a fictional podcast rec that might appeal to fans—Alice Isn’t Dead from Night Vale Presents
- For a look at the rise of astrology, check out “The Stars” from Throughline by NPR
- Lainey gave a shout out to the School Colors podcast, featured on Code Switch
- Good One host Jesse David Fox’s interview with Josh Gondelman (as mentioned, the podcast is now officially back with weekly episodes!)
- Find the Podcoin article here.
- The Official Outlander Podcast is the perfect companion pod for super-fans of the show.
It was Lainey’s turn to bring a surprise (to Alex) podcast that she’s loving. She brought The Last Degree of Kevin Bacon from Funny Or Die. Here’s the description:
Randy Beslow lost the role of Footloose to Kevin Bacon and has spent the last 30-plus years blaming Bacon for the way his life turned out. After he hits rock bottom, he snaps and embarks on a mission to hunt down Bacon and exact his revenge.
This 10-episode, Spotify-original podcast that features the ACTUAL voice of Kevin Bacon is so delightful!
Find a few articles about the pod here:
–“‘The Last Degree of Kevin Bacon’ is a new Spotify podcast starring the famous actor” on Philly Voice
–“Kevin Bacon is so in on the six-degree of Kevin Bacon joke” on CNN
–Watch a video with Kevin on Funny Or Die here.
Find the tweet Lainey mentioned to the left.
We can’t wait to hear more from this podcast and what your six degrees from Kevin Bacon are. Email us with your claim to fame!
Interview with Ancient History Fangirl Hosts Jenny Williamson and Genn McMenemy
In celebration of Women’s History month, we combined both women and history into our episode when we interviewed the lovely ladies of Ancient History Fangirl! A huge thanks to Jenny and Genn for taking the time to come on the show. We chatted about their origin story, what they’ve learned, and what to expect in their new season (which is available now. because timing. ur welcome). Find a description of the show below and check out their awesome new cover art!
A informative and humorous history podcast focusing on the true stories and tall tales of the ancient world. Hosted by the fantastic Jenny Williamson and Genn McMenemy, the Ancient History Fangirl podcast has covered everything from misbehaving emperors to mythological mayhem—and they’re still going strong, four seasons later!
Here’s a link to the Ancient History Fangirl episodes we mentioned specifically:
- “Ancient Vampires: They Only Knock Once“
- “Vampires II: Disease and the Engines of Myth (With Tiny Vampires Podcast)“
Of course we had to ask Genn and Jenny for their history podcast recommendations. Find a list here:
- Queens Podcast – This show discusses female rulers throughout history—and pairs the fantastic rulers with cocktails! You can find them on Twitter at @Queens_Podcast and on Facebook.
- The Exploress – A show that brings a storyteller’s eye to the lives and stories of ladies from the past. You can also find them on Twitter @theexploresspodcast or on Facebook.
- Let’s Talk About Myths Baby – A Greek & Roman mythology podcast tells myths in a manner perfect for the 21st century—it doesn’t shy away from addressing the mistreatment of women and honestly digs into stories from the ancient world. Find them on Twitter at @mythsbaby and on Facebook. Genn and Jenny called out these two episodes:
Here’s a list of Ancient History Fangirl‘s social handles and links:
- Twitter: @AncientHistFan, @TheGenuineJenny, @GennMcMenemy
- Instagram: @AncientHistoryFangirl, @gennmcmenemy, @jennyfreakingwilliamson
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AncientHistoryFangirl/
That’s it for this month! Let us know your favorite #GirlPower podcast on social or through email. We’ll mention it on the show.
Ta-ta for now,