New year, new us!
It’s 2022, and DYEP is back and better than ever. In addition to welcoming in the new year, we’re eager to celebrate Black History Month and have a solid list of shows for every genre.
This month, we’re hitting the ground running with an episode that’s packed full of pod news, new listens, a fascinating BYOP (that’s “Bring-Your-Own-Podcast” if you’re new around these parts), and our seasonal Calendar Corner. So, give a listen and let us know what you think!
Interview with The Slowdown's Myka Kielbon – Do You Even Podcast?
In the (Podcast) News
- Ear Hustle‘s taking some exciting steps into the book world!
- Lainey and Alex discussed the controversy and recent developments around Joe Rogan’s podcast and the responses from Spotify, as well as other celebrities and influential figures.
- Learn more about Spotify taking down episodes of the podcast
- Jon Stewart’s response to the controversy
- Podcast listenership is diversifying. Check out Nielsen (Seen on Screen 2021 Report) and Edison Research’s (Black Podcast Listener Report) recent data and findings, whether you’re looking for research to support your own podcast ventures, or you’re simply interested in the latest trends.
- Find out more about the iHeartRadio Podcast Awards winners.
- Host Jad Abumrad retired from RadioLab in late January!
What We’re Listening To
- Lainey is loving all the new podcasts that have TV stars rewatching and commenting on their old shows. Listen to the New Girl podcast, Welcome to Our Show, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia‘s The Always Sunny Podcast.
- Alex and Lainey surprised each other and are equally thrilled about GhostHoney’s Dream Machine.
- If you’re not familiar with his content, take a look at his TikTok account for all the laughs.
- Alex is taking a step on the creepy side and listening to Supernatural with Ashley Flowers. She particularly enjoyed the Dyatlov Pass and Illuminati episodes.
- Loving some fun history facts in Carter’s Condensed History the Podcast
- For some romcom fun, Alex recommends Belle Makes Twelve, a six-part series to make you smile and swoon.
- Sounds Like A Cult has a fantastic Trader Joe’s episode that will make you think a bit more about your grocery shopping. Plus, Alex recommends giving the Flat Earther’s episode a listen too.
BYOP (Bring Your Own Podcast)
This month, Alex’s BYOP was The Jude 3 Project!
A religious podcast that seeks to help the Christian community know what they believe and why they believe it, with a focus on supporting those of African descent in the US and abroad.
- Hosted by Lisa Fields with wide ranging guests from different backgrounds with differing beliefs, who discuss a variety of topics related to faith, religion, and worldview
- On Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play
- Episodes are roughly 35-45 minutes long
- Alex shouted out the following episodes in particular:
- Lainey mentioned a listen-alike: The Bible For Normal People podcast
- Find The Jude 3 Project online here, and on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- February is Black History Month! Alex recommended a few great pods led that will appeal, whether you’re a history buff or a true crime lover:
- The Jude 3 Project – Alex’s BYOP!
- Black Girl Bible – Another Christian podcast with a focus on Black culture
- Still Processing – Social commentary + culture
- United States of Anxiety – A podcast bridging our past with our present and what it means for the future
- The Read – Pure fun and pop culture, with plenty of laughs
- You Heard Me Write – A creative podcast about collaboration and understanding through all types of art
- Scam Goddess – True crime that’s true to the name…it’s all about scammers
- February 2nd – Groundhog Day
- The Story Behind – “Groundhog Day”
- February 9th – National Pizza Day
- Decoder Ring‘s “Chuck E. Cheese Pizza War“
- February 13th – Super Bowl Sunday
- February 13th – Galentine’s Day
- February 14th – Valentine’s Day
- February 20 – Rihanna’s Birthday
- Oprah Super Soul, “Rihanna” (September 2, 2020, reposted)
- February 21 – President’s Day
- Presidential from The Washington Post
And that rounds out our first new episode of the year. Don’t be shy—let us know what you’re listening to by DMing, emailing, or Tweeting us!
—Alex & Lainey