We’re excited to roll into March with all the podcast content you need!
We start out with some news and recent listens, then transition to Lainey’s twisty BYOP (that’s “Bring-Your-Own-Podcast” if you’re new around these parts). And, this month we split our content into TWO episodes. In S5: E2.5, we welcome podcaster Kacie Willis to talk about her show You Heard Me Write. So, give a listen and let us know what you think!
Interview with The Slowdown's Myka Kielbon – Do You Even Podcast?
In the (Podcast) News
- Alex heard about the Sam Elliot and Power of the Dog controversy, and went to the source to listen (WTF with Marc Maron, Episode 1309 – Sam Elliott). There are various pieces out about Sam’s problematic comments, Jane Campion’s response, and even Benedict Cumberbatch’s response. Note—Lainey and Alex are definitely excited to watch this film, regardless of Sam’s criticisms.
- Lainey talked about the podcast crossover events with Good One and The Always Sunny Podcast with Glenn Howerton and Charlie Day. As well as the crossover with Criminal on My Favorite Murder‘s celebrity hometown episodes.
- Sad news—the Obsessed podcast is ending! Cohost Mary Beth Barone posted on Instagram that their most recent show will be their last episode.
- Lainey talked about the new podcast from Crooked Media, OffLine. She loved the episode with “Hank Green on Inspiring Curiosity.”
- In a move to make radio and podcasts more interactive, iHeartRadio today is launching a new feature called Talk Back which allows listeners to participate with their favorite shows directly from the iHeartRadio mobile app. Apparently some see this as their competitive take towards Spotify’s new tools of Q&A’s and polls for podcasts, all through their Anchor app…
- Give us a call on Anchor here.
- Do yourself a favor and watch Abbott Elementary, then listen to Fresh Air‘s episode with the creator: “‘Abbott Elementary’ Creator/Star Quinta Brunson.“
- Twitter may be working on a Podcast tab within their application! According to reverse engineers who search the code of mobile apps to spot features in development, this addition would create a dedicated space on Twitter to house podcasts.
- We gave a shout-out for the news that “DC-area businesswoman creates first Black-female owned podcast network.“
What We’re Listening To
- Alex listened to Nerdette and their episode “The Beauty of ‘Big Emotions'” (Mar 4, 2022) It convinced her to finally get around to Station Eleven which she now ADORES.
- The episode also features Wesley Morris who wrote a truly thoughtful NYT piece called “The Power of a Good Cry”
- Questions about Ukraine and the conflict? Check out The Shit Show.
- Alex recommends the Sounds Like a Cult podcast and their episode “The Cult of Toxic Relationships.” They talk about love bombing, about the importance of therapy, and how toxic relationships function.
- Check out the new season of Conversations with People Who Hate Me.
- Bodies is another show Alex has been catching up on. She listened to their December episode, “Reading the Signs of Your Body.”
BYOP (Bring Your Own Podcast)
This month, Lainey’s BYOP was Sweet Bobby!
Kirat is a successful radio presenter. On Facebook she meets Bobby, a handsome cardiologist. He’s a catch. Soon, they get tangled up in a love affair full of lies and manipulation. Then… Kirat discovers a deception of almost unimaginable proportions.
From the makers of Finding Q, this is Sweet Bobby. A live investigation, in six parts, in search of one of the world’s most sophisticated catfishers.
Here’s an interesting interview with the host from Sweet Bobby: “Alexi Mostrous tells the story behind his hit podcast Sweet Bobby, plus February’s best new podcasts.”
And that rounds out our first new episode of the year. Don’t be shy—let us know what you’re listening to by DMing, emailing, or Tweeting us!
—Alex & Lainey