Happy February pod pals! Buckle up for lots of recommendations…
In the (Podcast) News
- For mindfulness and meditation related content, try out The Daily Shine. The show is part of a larger company and initiative known as Shine, which seeks to make mental health easier and more inclusive.
- Another rec for changing your mindset is the August 19, 2020 episode “Optimism” from The Cut
- Alex recommended The Daily for their deep dive on Gamestop—try out the February 1, 2021 episode “The Gamestop Rebellion”
- Amanda Gorman had a great interview on The Daily Show With Trevor Noah Podcast after her incredible reading at the Inauguration
- Check out The Bakari Sellers Podcast for a touching interview with Cicely Tyson
- Try NPR’s Louder Than a Riot, a thoughtfully created podcast about the interconnected rise of hip-hop and mass incarceration
- Lainey recommended Dirty Diversity by Dr. Janice for a podcast that digs into D&I improvement in the workplace
BYOP (Bring Your Own Podcast)
This month, Lainey’s BYOP was David Tennant Does a Podcast With…
-About an hour each
-Come out weekly on Tuesdays (started in 20219)
-From Somethin’ Else & No Mystery Productions
-Available on Spotfy and Apple Podcasts
-For fans of WTF with Marc Maron and Anna Faris is Unqualified
Podcast Pop Quiz
In lieu of an interview this month, we brought back a very special guest—Lucie Scott! She gave us a word for one of our classic bits, known as Podcast Pop Quiz. For this segment, Lucie suggested we do a deep dive and find some interesting podcasts that revolve around the word “games.”
Alex’s picks were:
- Hear Her Sports – a show where female athletes share stories of breaking barriers, speaking up, and living with power and confidence in today’s changing world. They publish biweekly episodes full of thoughtful interviews.
- Shut Up and Sit Down – a show all about board games, card games, and mind games. They have a podcast, a YouTube channel, and a robust website.
- Con Artists – a show about some of the most notorious con artists and how far they will go to gain money, power, and respect. New episodes drop every Wednesday from Parcast.
Lainey’s picks were:
- IGN Game Scoop! – IGN shoots a week’s worth of gaming news straight into your ear!
- Killer Knowledge – Try your hand at Parcast’s daily trivia podcast, Killer Knowledge…. Every day, you’ll have the chance to answer 5 trivia questions about a new crime, with 6 seconds to make your guess.
- Wired to Hunt – The most downloaded and highest-rated deer hunting podcast on the internet…sharing new strategies, expert interviews, and discussing their own stories throughout the hunting season.
February is Black History Month, and Alex shouted out some of her favorite pods—see below. Plus, keep your eyes out for a more this month with a wide range of pods from Black creators and hosts.
- The Daily Shine – mentioned earlier for mindfulness and meditation
- Scam Goddess – a more humorous true crime show about scammers and con artists
- Still Processing – an insightful show all about culture and media
- The Read – a laugh-out-loud cultural commentary show
- United States of Anxiety (specifically their recent episode “The Origin Story of Black History Month“) – a podcast about understanding America’s complicated and often glossed over history
We have a few other holidays and their perfect pods below, too:
- February 2nd – Groundhog Day
- This Movie Changed Me, “Groundhog Day — Naomi Alderman” is a great episode if you’re feeling particularly stuck in a rut (something often relatable during the pandemic).
- February 3rd – National Women’s Physician Day
- Empowering Women Physicians is a podcast that encourages women physicians to reflect on the wise words of the Hippocratic Oath and consider what more they could be doing to maintain the utmost respect for their OWN human life and its quality.
- February 5th – National Weatherperson’s Day
- Weather Insider by AccuWeather – A podcast with AccuWeather’s Meteorologist, Bernie Rayno explaining weather terms and sharing the top breaking weather events, explained in less than 15 minutes.
- February 13th – Galentine’s Day
- Obviously, Do You Even Podcast? is a perfect pick if you want a show with two besties gabbing about their favorite thing—podcasts!
- The B-Sides is a podcast hosted by progressive friends who talk about their love of pop music, often digging into discussions destigmatizing the genre.
- Deadline City is a show hosted by Dhonielle Clayton and Zoraida Córdova, two NYC based authors and good friends who talk about writing, editing, reviews, and the wild world of publishing in general.
- February 14th – Valentine’s Day
- Fated Mates – A romance novel podcast
- Seeing Other People (formerly Dating Sucks—the hosts took a break and got back together!) is a show that dissects dating tropes and brings on guests to talk about the ups and downs of relationships.
- February 15th – Susan B. Anthony Day
- The Agitators Podcast – The Agitators tells of the enduring but tempestuous friendship of Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass. Great allies? Yes. And at times, great adversaries.
- February 18th – National Drink Wine Day
- Wine for Normal People – A podcast is for people who like wine but not the attitude that goes with it.
- February 24th – National Tortilla Chip Day
- Spilled Milk, “Episode 463 – Tortilla Chips” is a solid choice if you like comedy shows and food!
- February 27th – National Retro Day
- The Postmodern Jukebox Formula – Postmodern Jukebox creator Scott Bradlee as he breaks down the classic records through the decades that inspired some of his most popular pop song transformations.
That’s all for this month! Let us know what you’re listening to—DM us, email us, or Tweet us!
—Lainey & Alex